Assignment 2: Discussion—Leadership Challenges in Today’s Environment
There are some who argue that leaders face unprecedented demands as we enter the 21st century. The pace of organizations is faster than ever due to technology advances and impatience in stakeholder groups. There is increased diversity due to globalization. The workforce is more nomadic; few people today spend their entire careers in a single company. This puts a lot of pressure on leaders and may demand new or evolved competencies.
Using the module readings, Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, including general organizational sources like the Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, or Harvard Business Review, research the demands facing 21st century leaders.
Then, respond to the following:
- What are the challenges facing leaders in today’s environment? Consider both internal and external challenges within an organization.
- Describe the impact of those challenges on today’s leaders. Explain how leaders need to respond to them.
- Discuss at least three–four core competencies that you think leaders need to be effective in today’s environment. Explain how these competencies will address the challenges you identified.
By the due date assigned, post your response to the appropriate Discussion Area. Through the end of the module, review and comment on at least two peers’ responses.
Write your initial response in 300–500 words. Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail, include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA Style, and demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Do the following when responding to your peers:
- Read your peers’ answers.
- Provide substantive comments by
- contributing new, relevant information from course readings, Web sites, or other sources;
- building on the remarks or questions of others; or
- sharing practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to other students on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing
- is clear, concise, and organized;
- demonstrates ethical scholarship in accurate representation and attribution of sources; and
- displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsQuality of initial posting, including fulfillment of assignment instructions16Quality of responses to classmates12Frequency of responses to classmates4Reference to supporting readings and other materials4Language and grammar4Total:40