Though technology, in its increasing ubiquity, largely serves to simplify and make more convenient many daily processes, the extent to which people use and are reliant on technology means that the potential for a vulnerable attack is also heightened. Health care technology has made massive strides in improving quality patient care, making telehealth more accessible to the masses, and cutting down on unnecessary costs. But the more data are digitized, the greater the probability of a breach.
Imagine a scenario in which it was discovered that a company producing wearable fitness-tracking devices had been selling confidential consumer data to the consumers’ health insurance company. Based off of the data consumers had been entering in their fitness-tracking app, this third-party insurance company was then able to suggest health and life insurance plans that would best meet the needs of their clients.
In a paper of 500-750 words, address the following points:
- How is this scenario an example of an ethics breach? In what ways were both entities responsible for violating consumer confidentiality?
- What consequences might both companies face as a result of this breach?
- Moving forward, what changes would the health insurance company need to implement in order to ensure that their communications with customers and corporations comply with HIPAA?
- Suppose that a customer had updated a health insurance plan based off of a recommendation made by the insurance company, founded on information received illicitly from the fitness-tracking company. If the customer had a medical emergency that required the use of that added health insurance coverage, is the insurance company still in the wrong? Is the fitness-tracking company still in the wrong? If the misuse of customer data helped to save a patient’s life, was there still a breach of ethics? Explain your position.
- How will a renewed commitment by both corporations to honor the confidentiality of customer information serve to promote the common good? How is ethical decision making within a business setting consistent with the Christian worldview (CWV)?
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
This assignment assesses the following programmatic competency:
BS Health Care Administration
2.3: Identify appropriate practices regarding respectful and confidential communication in compliance with HIPAA.